Tyler Perry in the light of gender

 Katie West 

Blog Post 

March 22, 2021 


    I personally had never heard of Tyler Perry before reading Don’t Make a Black Woman Take Off Her Earrings. However, his name had suddenly come twice this past week: once being in this class and the second being in the Oprah TV interview, Oprah with Meghan and Harry. This interview stated that Tyler Perry lent his home to fleeing royals, Meghan Markle, and Prince Harry. However, I still only knew that I was about to read his novel and that he saved the escaping royals--I had no clue what to expect. And when I began this novel, I had done no research, so I was quite confused, especially in the beginning. I kept asking myself why is he talking as a woman, and the more I read the more I personally got annoyed. Sure, this novel offered serious, intellectual moments and I felt he addressed race uniquely and wisely where he appropriately cued white Americans into some references. Perry addressed race in a very upfront and correct manner. However, I became increasingly irritated with how he used his male voice to describe womanhood. And I understand that this novel, Don’t Make a Black Woman Take Off Her Earrings is meant to be taken light-heartedly and as a form of sarcasm yet, I often found myself questioning the ethics around this and asking, does Tyler Perry have a right to discuss elements of womanhood or motherhood, even if it is in a joking manner? 

    Throughout this piece there were stories, jokes, sarcasm, and hyperboles, yet layered in between was advice or helpful life reminders, little things like, “The grass is always greener on the other side, but the water bill is higher” (Perry, 17). And although I greatly enjoyed these small, happy reminders I felt that there was a lot less depth within them compared to other comedic writers that we have read. I am not sure if I fully grasp Perry’s humor style however, aforementioned, I was annoyed with the way he handled gender--particularly in part four titled “Kids' ' where the first chapter is titled “The Beauty of ChildBirth. As I read this section the entire time I thought, ‘Well what does Perry know? He’s never been a mother, or even been a woman.' It was quotes and lines such as “Postpartum depression--yes, I’ve had it for fifty-two years. That’s why I only had one because I’ve been depressed ever since” (Perry, 72). that particularly caught my attention. Postpartum depression is a serious and common mental illness that many mothers face, yet Tyler Perry, a man, and defiantly not a mother, brings up this mental illness in a sarcastic manner--like he has experienced the struggle himself. Perry also elaborates on sixteen-year-old girls and how quickly they are growing up and offers them sound advice. And although this advice is endearing and helpful I asked myself the same question, 'how does Perry know what it's like to be a sixteen-year-old a sixteen-year-old female?' 

    I am not sure if I read this book wrong, or simply do not have a great enough understanding of Tyler Perry and his character Madea, yet I continually found myself questioning how gender and motherhood were handled in this novel. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Jesus Shaves" - Sedaris understanding of Humor

Sedaris' hyperbolism in "The incomplete Quad"

Nuance is the Key to Sarcasm